Monday, March 20, 2017

assignment #24: ted talk

This talk was about how photographs connect to us in different ways and how significant some are even though they do not seem to be spectacular at the time. For example, a photo of getting a penguin looking underwater to check if the coast is clear, then another one of the rest of the penguins jumping in the water may not seem like they take time to capture, but they really do. Photographs like these connect to me because of how magnificent they are and that I think of how much time and effort was put into photographing it. The famous photojournalists that photograph these images try to create a story behind every image to make you think what was happening at that time and when and where it was taken. 

This talk has only altered my views of photography a little bit. Before, I either saw photographs as just a random picture or something that had some sort of meaning behind it. However, now I see photography as a story, where each part of the photograph tells an element of that story to create something significant. For example, if I had seen a random picture of an animal in the wild I wouldn't have thought much of it. But, now if I look at that same picture, I would take more time in thinking where and when the photo was shot and what the story is behind why the picture was taken. This talk has made me appreciate photography more than I ever have.

From now on, I will think more about each picture. Before this talk, I would usually just take a picture and see if it meets the standards of the type of picture I need to take. But, now whenever I take a picture, I will think more of the story behind it and will try to capture the true essence of the photo. I will make sure each picture captures the meaning behind why the photo was take, and I will go above and beyond instead of just simply meeting the standards. This talk is relevant to me because it has impacted the way I look at photographs and how I need to appreciate the art of photography more.

1 comment: